East Berlin Methodist Church (Conn.) Records, 1871-1968

Extent: 1.6 linear feet, in 4 small and 2 medium flat Hollinger boxes

The East Berlin Methodist Episcopal Church in East Berlin, CT was organized in 1864. Services were held at various locations in East Berlin under the guidance of a number of pastors in the succeeding years, some of them connected with Wesleyan University. In 1876 a church building was completed and dedicated. This was enlarged in 1896 and a parsonage was built. The building had an original signed Tiffany stained glass window, given by Mrs. L.A. Westcott in honor of her husband. The church was damaged by fire in 1949, but restored. In 2005 East Berlin was placed on a charge with Kensington. In 2012 it became a station.

The collection contains a mixture of original and photocopied records from the East Berlin Methodist Church in East Berlin, CT. It includes quarterly conference records from 1871-1880 (photocopied) and 1905-1917; and baptism, marriage, and membership records from 1871-1939 (photocopied) and 1939-1950. Additional records include various financial records ranging from 1899-1968, various church school records ranging from 1922-1951, offical board records from 1910-1923 and 1938-1959, Ladies Aid records from 1911-1937, and Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor/Epworth League records from 1890-1915.

Names:

  • East Berlin Methodist Episcopal Church – (Conn.)
  • East Berlin Methodist Church – (Conn.)
  • Epworth League
  • Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Minute books

Call Number: LCH.0007

Related Archival Materials: Baptismal, marriage, and membership records are located at the current East Berlin UMC. Additional records and/or some original records may be located at the CT State Library.