Colebrook River Methodist Church (Colebrook, Conn.) Records, 1833-1949

Extent: 0.3 linear feet, in 1 medium flat Hollinger box

The Colebrook River Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1834. In 1849 it became part of the New York East Conference when that conference was formed by division of the New York Conference. Until 1850, the Colebrook River Circuit comprised Colebrook River, Hartland, Hitchcocksville (later Riverton), and Pleasant Valley. From 1850 to 1889 Colebrook River was a station (with its own pastor). Thereafter it was mostly on a charge with neighboring communities, either Pleasant Valley or West Hartland. In 1940 it became a station again, but in April 1949 the Colebrook River quarterly conference voted to abandon the church, and the building was sold.

The collection includes eight record books containing quarterly conference meeting records, both for the Colebrook River Circuit (beginning in 1833) and the Colebrook River church (to 1949, with some gaps). Also included are lists of church members (1859-67), Sunday school records (1859), and a record book containing classes, probationers, members, marriages, baptisms, and deaths (1874-1944).

Names:

  • Colebrook River Methodist Church – (Colebrook, Conn.)
  • Colebrook River Methodist Episcopal Church – (Colebrook, Conn.)
  • Methodist Episcopal Church – Colebrook River Circuit (Conn.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Funeral registers
  • Marriage registers
  • Minute books

Call Number: LCH.0004