Methodist Free School (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1820-1830

Extent: 0.2 linear feet in 1 rare book box

The Methodist Free School (also referred to in the records as the Methodist Charity School) was apparently a Free School for indigent children (according to the memoir of Rev. George Coles). Rev. Coles further notes that the school was located in a building in Forsythe Street opposite the Forsythe Street Methodist Episcopal church and that Samuel Williams was the Superintendent and his sisters were teachers (this is supported by payments for land on Forsyth Street and salary payments recorded in the account book). He also indicates that the school was supported by voluntary contributions made once a year after a sermon in each of the Methodist churches.

The collection is comprised of one accounts record book from the Methodist Free School, dating from 1820 to 1830.

Names: 

  • Methodist Free School – (New York, N.Y.)
  • Methodist Charity School – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Account books

Call Number:  COG.0001

Related Archival Materials:  There is a treasurer’s account book for the Methodist Charity School, dated 1796-1820, in the New York Public Library’s Methodist Episcopal Church Records, 1791-1945. Within the PDF finding aid, see p. 9, New York City [General Records], #90.