Perry Street Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1869-1910

Extent: 0.6 linear feet in 2 Hollinger boxes

Perry Street Methodist Episcopal Church began as a Sunday School organized by the New York City Sunday School Society in 1863. It was located at 693 Washington Street. It moved to “Noah’s Ark,” a religious center at 111-113 Bank Street, and remained there until 1868. At that point a stone and brick church was built on Perry Street near Greenwich Avenue. In 1910 the church merged into Jane Street M.E. Church, which in turn merged into Metropolitan Temple M.E. Church in 1920.

Records of Perry Street Methodist Episcopal Church are comprised of three bound volumes that include a historical record, as well as baptisms, marriages, classes, members, and probationers ranging in date from 1869 to 1910.

Names:

  • Perry Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number:  LCH.0031

Related Archival Materials:  There may be some additional records from Perry Street M.E. Church in the New York Public Library’s Methodist Episcopal Church Records, 1791-1945. These are noted as “probable records,” although it is also noted that the Perry Street records are “marked false.” The Perry Street records are members (1866-1879) and probationers (1863-1869).

Records of Jane Street M.E. Church, into which Perry Street merged in 1910, are held at the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference.