St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1862-1930

Extent:  0.6 linear feet in 2 Hollinger boxes

St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1858 and first appeared in the Conference minutes in 1862. The first services were held at 58th and 8th Avenue in May 1858 and in October the church moved to 53rd between Broadway and 8th Avenue. A new church was built on the same site in 1871. In 1894 St. John’s merged with 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church to form Union Methodist Episcopal Church.

The records of St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church include members, marriages, and baptisms from 1862 to 1895, as well as official board minutes from 1884-1893. One of the record books also contains records for The Rag Bag Alley Puppets, circa 1930.

Names:

  • St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists
  • Minute books

Call Number: LCH.029

Related Archival Materials: ¬†Records of the 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church, with which St. John’s merged in 1894, and of the Union Methodist Church (created by that merger), are housed at the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference.