18th Street Methodist Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1838-1945

Extent: 2.3 linear feet in 7 Hollinger boxes

The first class meeting of the 18th Street Methodist Episcopal Church was formed in 1828 by a group from the Bedford Street M.E. Church. A Sunday School was formed in 1829, and in 1830 a frame church was built on the south side of 20th Street west of 8th Avenue. The church was known as 20th Street M.E. Church at that time. In 1835 a new church was built on the north side of 18th Street. The cornerstone was laid August 13, 1835 by Bishop Hedding, and the building was dedicated on February 25, 1836. The 18th Street Church absorbed the 24th Street M.E. Church in 1915 and the West Side M.E. Church in 1929. In 1948 it merged into Metropolitan-Duane Methodist Episcopal Church.

Records of the 18th Street Methodist Church include marriages, baptisms, members, and classes, ranging in date from 1838 to 1945.

Names:

  • 18th Street Methodist Church – (New York, N.Y.)
  • 18th Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)
  • 20th Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number: LCH.0028

Related Archival Materials:  One folder (Manhattan: Eighteenth Street) in the Local Church Reference Collection. Records of the 24th Street and West Side churches, both of which merged into the 18th Street M.E. Church, are held at the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference. Records of Metropolitan-Duane, into which 18th Street merged, are located at the United Methodist Church of the Village.