Jane Street Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1844-1920

Extent:  2 linear feet in 6 Hollinger boxes

Jane Street Church was organized in the summer of 1844, beginning with open-air preaching by Rev. Ezra Withey in a vacant lot at the juncture of 7th and Greenwich Avenues and 12th Street. On July 23, 1844 the first class was started with 28 members. In April 1845 the church was incorporated, and met in a hall on Perry Street. A church building was completed in 1846 on Jane Street, between West 4th Street and 8th Avenue. In 1910 Perry Street Methodist Episcopal Church merged into Jane Street, and in 1920 Jane Street merged into Metropolitan Temple Methodist Episcopal Church.

The records of Jane Street Methodist Episcopal Church include a church history, as well as probationers lists, class lists, baptisms, marriages, and membership lists.

Names:

  • Jane Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number:  LCH.0027

Related Archival Materials: Records of Perry Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which merged into Jane Street, are held at the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference. Records of Metropolitan Temple, into which Jane Street merged, are held at the United Methodist Church of the Village.