43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1850-1895

Extent: 1.4 linear feet in 4 Hollingers boxes and 2 rare book boxes

The 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal church was organized in 1849 as the 41st Street Methodist Episcopal Church and Society, and was incorporated in June 1849. It was reincorporated as the Bloomingdale Methodist Episcopal Church in December 1850. Its church building, located at 253 West 43rd Street, was dedicated in October of 1851. In 1874 its name was changed to the 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1894 it merged with St. John’s M.E. Church to form Union Methodist Episcopal Church.

Records of 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church include marriages, members, Sunday School Teachers Association minutes, Board of Trustees minutes, Quarterly Conference minutes, Sinking Fund Association constitution and minutes (devoted to setting aside money to pay down debt), and financial records.

Names:

  • 41st Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)
  • 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)
  • Bloomingdale Methodist Epsicopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Account books
  • Administrative records
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists
  • Minute books

Call Number:  LCH.0026

Related Archival Materials: ¬†Records of St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church, as well as those of Union Methodist Episcopal Church (formed from the merger of 43rd Street and St. John’s), are held at the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference.