44th Street Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1863-1917

Extent: 0.7 linear feet in 2 Hollinger boxes

The 44th Street Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1857 as the Janes Church (probably named after Bishop Janes), not to be confused with the Jane Street M.E. Church, organized in 1844. The first services were held in a Sunday School hall on 11th Avenue near 44th Street. A church building at 461 West 44th Street was dedicated in June of 1863. The 44th Street M.E. Church merged with the 35th Street M.E. Church in 1917 to form the West Side Methodist Episcopal Church, located in the 44th Street building. The West Side M.E. Church merged into the 18th Street Methodist Episcopal Church in 1927.

Records of the 44th Street Methodist Episcopal Church include probationers, members, marriages, baptisms, and classes, dating from 1863-1917.

Names:

  • 44th Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number:  LCH.0024

Related Archival Materials:  Records of the 35th Street M.E. Church, predecessor to the 44th Street Church, are located in the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference. Records of the West Side M.E. Church and the 18th Street M.E. Church, its successor churches, are also held in the Christman Archives.