35th Street Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.), 1863-1918

Extent: 0.3 linear feet in 1 Hollinger box

The 35th Street Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1863 by the New York City Society (then known as the New York City Sunday School Society), whose mission was to promote and help Sunday Schools, churches, and other Christian institutions and agencies in New York City. The 35th Street M.E. Church was incorporated July 10, 1864 and its building, located on 10th Avenue near 35th Street, was dedicated in October of 1866. The 35th Street Church merged with the 44th Street Methodist Episcopal Church in December of 1917, forming the West Side M.E. Church (located in the former 44th Street building). This church in turn merged into the 18th Street Methodist Episcopal Church in 1929.

The 35th Street Methodist Episcopal Church records are comprised of two record books that contain vital records dating from 1866 to 1918 and a list of pastors from 1863-1918.

Names:

  • 35th Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number: LCH.0023

Related Archival Materials: One folder (Manhattan: Thirty-Fifth Street) in the Local Church Reference Collection. Records of the 44th Street Methodist Episcopal Church, into which 35th Street merged, are held at the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference.