First German United Methodist Church (New York, N.Y.), 1899-1975

Extent: 1.5 linear feet in 3 Hollinger boxes

First German Methodist Episcopal Church began as the German Mission and Sunday School in 1841, in a hired room on the corner of Essex and Stanton Streets in New York City.It was incoporated April 19, 1842, and in late 1842 a church was built on East 2nd Street. In 1902 a new building was built at 48 St. Mark’s Place, which the church occupied until it was discontinued in 1975. This was the first German Methodist church in New York City. Its members helped establish the Second German Methodist Episcopal Church in 1846, as well as the Tremont-German Mission (later the Tremont-German Methodist Episcopal Church) in the Bronx in the early 1900s. First German became part of the East German Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church when that conference was established in 1866 and rejoined the New York Conference when the East German Conference was dissolved in 1943.

The records from First German Church include minutes (in German), financial records, trustees records, and quarterly conference minutes. The are no baptismal, marriage, or membership records included, and there are no records prior to 1899.

Names:

  • First German Methodist Church – (New York, N.Y.)
  • First German Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)
  • First German United Methodist Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Administrative records
  • Church records
  • Minute books

Call Number: LCH.0018

Related Materials: One folder (Manhattan: First German) in the Local Church Reference Collection. There is one volume of Sunday School attendance records (1841-1843) in the New York Public Library’s Methodist Episcopal Church Records, 1791-1945.