Union Methodist Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1895-1947

Extent: 2 linear feet in 4 Hollinger boxes

Union Methodist Episcopal Church was located at 48th Street and Broadway in Manhattan. It was organized in 1894 by the merger of 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church and St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church on 53rd Street. The church was discontinued and sold in 1947. The 1947 New York Annual Conference Journal report of the district superintendents stated that “Union Church on 48th Street has been sold. Since it was built with missionary money the equity from the sale will go to the New York City Society for church extension work.” Some of the church’s members transferred to the Washington Square Methodist Church.

The records of Union Methodist Church include quarterly conference reports; official board records; membership, baptism, marriage, and some funeral records; Epworth League minutes; and a few financial records.

Names:

  • Union Methodist Church – (New York, N.Y.)
  • Union Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Account books
  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists
  • Minute books

Call Number: LCH.0016

Related Archival Materials:¬†There is a folder on Union Methodist Church in the Local Church Reference File. Records of Union’s predecessor churches, 43rd Street Methodist Episcopal Church and St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church on 53rd Street, are ¬†held at the Christman Archives of the New York Annual Conference. Records of the Washington Square Methodist Church, to which some Union members transferred, are held at United Methodist Church of the Village in Manhattan.