Methodist Church of the Savior (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1870-1955

Extent: 0.5 linear feet, in 1 large flat Hollinger box

The Methodist Church of the Savior was organized in 1870 as the South Harlem Methodist Episcopal Church. Preaching services were begun in 1862 in a home near 110th Street. The church was incoporated in October 1874, and was located in a frame church on 110th Street near 2nd Avenue until 1875, when it moved to 111th Street between Lexington and 3rd Avenues. It was known as 111th Street M.E. Church until 1881, when it moved to 109th Street near Madison Avenue and was reincorporated as the Methodist Episcopal Church of the Savior. The church closed in approximately 1956.

The collection is comprised of record books from the Methodist Church of the Savior, dating from its organization in 1870 to its closure in 1956. The collection includes church records, notes, membership records, baptisms, marriages, and deaths, along with a few loose papers.

Names:

  • 111th Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, NY)
  • Methodist Church of the Savior – (New York, NY)
  • Methodist Episcopal Church of the Savior – (New York, NY)
  • South Harlem Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, NY)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Funeral registers
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number: LCH.0022

Related Archival Materials: One folder (Manhattan: Church of the Savior) in the Local Church Reference Collection.