Beekman Hill Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1860-1881

Extent: 0.5 linear feet, in 2 small flat Hollinger boxes

Beekman Hill Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1860 by Rev. John S. Mitchell and incorporated in April of the same year. The first services were held in Beekman Mansion in 1859. A church was built in 1862 at 321 East 50th Street, and was replaced by a new church on the same site in 1873. In 1911 the 37th Street Methodist Episcopal Church merged into Beekman Hill, and in 1921 Beekman Hill merged into the 61st Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which later merged into Christ Methodist Church.

The collection is comprised of records of Beekman Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, organized in 1860. Included are a scrapbook dating from 1860-1881 and a Sabbath School Association record book dating from 1860-1879. The collection does not include membership, baptismal, or marriage records.

Names:

  • Beekman Hill Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, NY)

Types of Material:

  • Church records

Call Number: LCH.0021

Related Archival Materials: One folder (Manhattan: Beekman Hill) in the Local Church Reference Collection. Trustees minutes from 1860-1885 are held in the New York Public Library’s Methodist Episcopal Church Records, 1791-1945, at http://www.nypl.org/archives/1641. According to the Works Progress Administration inventory of Methodist records prepared in 1940, baptism, marriage and membership records from 1862-1912 were located at Christ Methodist Church at that time. Their current location is unknown.