Bedford Street Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1817-1913

Extent: 1.7 linear feet, in 5 flat Hollinger boxes

Bedford Street Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Samuel Walgrove and George Suckley as the Greenwich Church, since it originated from classes led by Rev. Seth Crowell from 1804-1807 in a home near Greenwich Street. Members of the Bedford Street church helped found the 18th Street Methodist Episcopal Church in 1828. Services were held in Samuel Walgrove’s home and carpentry shop until a church building was constructed in 1810 at Bedford and Morton Streets. The benches from John Street Methodist Episcopal Church were placed in the galleries of Bedford Street in 1817. In 1830 the building was enlarged, and new churches were built on the same site in 1840 and 1866. In 1913 the congregation merged into Metropolitan Temple Methodist Episcopal Church.

The collection is comprised of records of Bedford Street Methodist Episcopal Church, organized in 1807. It includes baptismal, marriage, probationers, and membership records (ranging from 1837 to 1913), as well as a list of pastors (1817-1884) and a Sunday School register dating from 1870-1880.

Names:

  • Bedford Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, NY)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number: LCH.0020

Related Archival Materials: One folder (Manhattan: Bedford Street) in the Local Church Reference Collection.