Vestry Street Methodist Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Records, 1848-1850

Extent: 0.3 linear feet, in 1 small flat Hollinger box

Vestry Street Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1833 as the First Wesleyan Chapel, the first pewed church in the city. It was incorporated May 27, 1846 and remained on Vestry and North Greenwich Streets until 1853, when it was relocated to 7th Avenue and West 13th Street. In 1857 it was renamed Central Methodist Episcopal Church. The building was destroyed by fire in 1928 and a new church was completed in 1932, at which time it was renamed Metropolitan Temple. In 1939 it merged with Duane Street to form Metropolitan-Duane, which in turn merged with Church of All Nations and Washington Square in 2006 to form the current United Methodist Church of the Village.

The collection is comprised of minutes of the Vestry Street Methodist Episcopal Church missionary society, 1848-1850, from the short period (1846-1853) that the church was located on Vestry Street and known by that name. The collection does not include any baptismal, marriage, or membership records.

Names:

  • Vestry Street Methodist Episcopal Church – (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Minute books

Call Number: LCH.0017

Related Archival Materials: Additional records of Vestry Street Methodist Episcopal Church (originally known as First Wesleyan Chapel and later as Central Church and Metropolitan Temple) are located at The United Methodist Church of the Village. The records begin in 1833.