St. James Methodist Church (Harlem, N.Y.) Records, 1843-1946

Extent: 2 linear feet, in 4 large flat Hollinger boxes and 1 small flat Hollinger box

In 1830 the Harlem Mission was organized and soon incorporated as the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Harlem. A building was erected on 125th Street east of Park Avenue. In 1871 a large church was built at the corner of 126th Street and Madison Avenue to accommodate the growing congregation, and the church’s name was changed to St. James Methodist Episcopal Church. Due to changing populations, St. James Methodist Church was discontinued in 1942. In 1943, its building was taken over by a Methodist congregation that left the AME church. Metropolitan Community United Methodist Church occupies the building and is still active in the New York Annual Conference.

The collection consists of record books from St. James Methodist Episcopal Church, as well as from its predecessors: the Harlem Mission and the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Harlem. The record books contain baptism, marriage, and membership records.

Names:

  • First Methodist Episcopal Church – (Harlem, N.Y.)
  • St. James Methodist Episcopal Church – (Harlem, N.Y.)
  • St. James Methodist Church – (Harlem, N.Y.)

Types of Material:

  • Baptismal registers
  • Church records
  • Marriage registers
  • Membership lists

Call Number: LCH.0015

Related Archival Materials: Two folders (Manhattan: St. James, Harlem) in the Local Church Reference Collection, which include a published history of St. James M.E. Church, 1830-1880, by William B. Silber, LL.D.